Resources Available In Utah
Do you live in or near Utah county? If so, you may be interested in some of the services we offer locally. Beginning in June 2010 we will be offering social groups and in home therapy
Jennifer Fletcher has been teaching children on the autism spectrum for 6 years and is the mother of 3 children on the spectrum. When teaching social skills, she doesn't just teach the social rules but also explains the importance of following them. She focuses on making the abstract become concrete.
Each social group will be no bigger than 4-5 children. As much as possible, children will be grouped according to similar social struggles. The core curriculum is usually comprised of material from Michelle G. Winner. Other curriculum and techniques include video self-modeling, the Alert program (sensory diets), the Incredible 5 point scale, The Hidden Curriculum and other materials that are appropriate according to each group.
The groups will be held at Lehi Legacy center located on Main Street in Lehi. Groups will be for elementary age students. If there is enough interest to create an older group, then one will be created. Times and days will be determined as groups are formed. Each group will run for about 45-50 minutes. The children will then be allowed to play with some sensory items while Jennifer reviews items to work on at home with the parents.
Possible topics for groups:
- How to be part of a group
- Whole body listening
- Thinking about others vs being a just me
- Using our thinking eyes
- Rock thinking vs flexible thinking
- How to make a good impression (any why we don't want to make bad impressions)
- Social behavior mapping -- Learning about consequences and how what we do changes how others behave towards us
- Conversation skills
- Learning how to modulate voices and behavior
Groups are $45 an hour and are held once a week. Money will be collected monthly in advance and can be paid by cash, money order or credit card. No personal checks are accepted. Because you are paying for a slot in a social group, missed sessions will be not reimbursed. However, if the group is cancelled for any reason, you will be given a make-up session.
One-to-one in Home Therapy
Some families feel that in home therapy would be more beneficial for their family and child's needs. Therapy is done once a week for an hour in your home. You may purchase more time.
In home services available:
- 1-1 play based on Stanley Greenspan's floor time
- Targeted behavior problems and training on how to help with these issues
- Creating a sensory diet
- Learning to use schedules and visuals in your home
- In home social training
- Helping your family do community outings such as shopping, getting a haircut, buying shoes
- Creating and using social stories in a variety of formats
- Academic training
The fee for in home therapy is $70 an hour. The first initial visit is $20 to fill out paperwork, observer your child and give you a chance to visit with the therapist in order to determine if this is a good fit for your family.